The Catalan justice department has reportedly confirmed that the antivirus tycoon John McAfee was found dead in prison in Barcelona.
- John McAfee, 75, was found dead in his prison cell in Barcelona, the Catalan justice department reportedly said, noting that everything points to death by suicide.
- Just hours before the death report, the Spanish high court issued a preliminary ruling in favor of McAfee’s extradition to the U.S. to face tax-related criminal charges.
- According to El Pais publication, the prison surveillance professionals, who found him dead in his cell, and the prison medical services intervened to perform resuscitation but they were unable to revive him.
- The Associated Press reported that a statement from the regional Catalan government confirmed that the jail’s medical team finally certified his death. However, the publication noted:
The statement didn’t identify the U.S. tycoon by name, but said he was a 75-year-old U.S. citizen awaiting extradition to the country. A Catalan government source familiar with the event who was not authorized to be named in media reports confirmed to the AP that the dead man was McAfee.
- McAfee was arrested in October 2020 at Barcelona–El Prat Airport when he was about to leave for Turkey. He was charged by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) with fraudulently pumping initial coin offerings (ICOs) and was indicted by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) for “tax evasion and willful failure to file tax returns,” fraud, and money laundering conspiracy crimes.
- Last week, the antivirus tycoon tweeted that all of his assets were seized by the U.S. and he had no hidden cryptocurrency.
What do you think about the death of John McAfee? Let us know in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
Credit: Source link